Heart Problems are nowadays marked as one of the top killers in the world. India is no exception to that. Yet a few simple, healthy lifestyle habits are the key to prevention of such a terrible ailment. In fact, a recent survey showed that half of heart disease deaths are due to modifiable risk factors that patients themselves can control. As one of the Best Heart Care Hospital in Kolkata, Woodlands Multispecialty Hospital believes that awareness regarding such habits is the key to combat heart ailments. So, here’s a few tips to such healthy lifestyle living-
- Avoid smoking or intake of any tobacco related products. Up to 30% of all heart disease deaths are directly attributable to cigarette smoking.
- High blood pressure is not just a common disease these days, but also a leading cause of death around the world & is very well a modifiable risk. Consult a doctor, take medicines as prescribed & please monitor your blood pressure once a month.
- BMI or body mass index should be maintained at optimum level (18-25kg/m2). Overweight is known to be associated with increased risk for heart disease.
- Of course, healthy eating is often considered as a panacea for all disease prevention. Heart disease is certainly no exception. Eat vegetables, fruits, whole grains, non-fat dairy, seafood, legumes & nuts. Alcohol consumption should always be on a moderate level. Consumption of red meat & sugar-sweetened food & drink should also be on a lower level.
- Needless to say, exercise is an imperative part of healthy living. Carry out physical activity for at least 150 minutes at moderate rate or 75 minutes of intense rate per week is guaranteed to reduce risk of heart disease.
- At least 7 hours of sleep is an absolute necessity for each day in order to have proper functioning of brain & body including the heart.
- Taking 5 or more glasses of water each day is considered as another panacea for healthy living & healthy heart.
- Influenza vaccine is known to offer protection against new-onset atrial fibrillation, thereby reducing the risk of heart related ailments.
- Social relationship has been linked to overall health & risk of death. So enjoy healthy relationships & environments.
So, to sum it all up, men who don’t smoke, are physically active, have a waist circumference under 37.4 inches, lives on a diet of fruits, vegetables, legumes, reduced-fat dairy products, fish & whole grains, drinks moderately have a 86% lower risk of heart attack. For women too they have 73% lower risk of heart disease in case they follow this lifestyle. So start following these tips & take control of your health & life.